Employing an apprentice
Wish to pass on your skills to the next generation of craftspeople in London and the South-East or the Midlands? By employing an apprentice, you can make a real impact and help to keep your trade alive.
Practical, work-based training
10 places on the Goldsmiths’ Company Apprenticeship Scheme per year
Like to know more about employing an apprentice? Fill in the enquiry form below or call 020 7566 7650
Since the 14th century, the Goldsmiths’ Company has helped people to enter life-long careers in the precious metal industry. Today, the Goldsmiths’ Centre continues to support new talent through training and personal development opportunities, on behalf of the Company.
Don’t have an apprentice in mind? We may be able to help match your business with talented young people via our year-long Foundation Programme. Know someone? Read on to see how we can support you and your apprentice.
Who can take on a Goldsmiths’ Company apprentice?
Employing an apprentice through the Goldsmiths’ Company Apprenticeship Scheme is easier than you think. The scheme supports individuals to learn through practical experience in a specialist skill. To apply, you must:
- have a Freeman of the Goldsmiths’ Company employed in your business
- run a business based in London and the South-East or the Midlands
- employ your apprentice according to UK law and provide them with training and skills for the duration of their apprenticeship
You or your business must ensure that your apprentice is:
- employed full-time i.e. a minimum of 37.5 hours per week by your business
- given supervised practical, work-based training for the duration of the apprenticeship
- given the time to come to the Goldsmiths’ Centre for additional training and to work towards a qualification
- taught a range of relevant skills over the term of their apprenticeship, starting with the basics and building in complexity over-time. We can help you with this
- given the opportunity to use a range of materials, tools, equipment and techniques
- equipped with the skills to become an employee within their chosen job role
Employing an apprentice can bring many benefits to your business. It can help you to:
- bring new talent into your company
- sustain vital specialist skills for the future of your craft and business
- develop the way you work by passing on your knowledge and expertise
- motivate and energise your existing team, boosting business performance
All apprentices must have completed 12-months’ workshop experience before starting on the Goldsmiths’ Company Apprenticeship Scheme. This can be done one of two ways:
You’re looking for an apprentice: We can help match your business, if based in London and the South-East, with a skilled young person from our Foundation Programme. Each year, ten 16-to-24-year-olds learn the core skills to enter an apprenticeship, employment or further studies.
We run work experience at two different points during the programme. This is a great way to check whether one of our trainees could be a good fit for your workshop. These potential apprentices will have completed 9-months on the Foundation Programme and must complete a further 3-months on a trial basis with you in advance of the start of their apprenticeship in October.
You’ve found an apprentice: You can also identify an apprentice through your own contacts. If you choose this route the apprentice must spend 12-months training within your workshop prior to starting on our scheme in October.
In their final year, apprentices work towards producing a masterpiece, which is presented to The Court of Wardens of the Goldsmiths’ Company at their Freedom Ceremony. If their work is of the expected quality an apprentice will be awarded the Freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company, and age dependent, also the City of London. In addition to this, apprentices work towards attaining a Level 4 City & Guilds Professional Recognition Award.
All apprentices are required to take part in Day Release at the Goldsmiths’ Centre. The cost of this training is covered by the Goldsmiths’ Company. You are expected to enable apprentices to attend these pre-arranged dates, which are scheduled to fit in with the industry year, in order to support them in their skills development.
We offer employers and apprentices plenty of support. Apprentices who successfully complete their training are awarded the Freedom of the Goldsmiths’ Company and can apply for the Freedom of the City of London.
As an employer, you will receive:
- help to find a young person from our Foundation Programme
- up to four years Day Release training at the Goldsmiths’ Centre
- support for your apprentice to work towards a Level 4 qualification
- pastoral support for you and your apprentice via the team
- only for workshops that need it, financial support through a Goldsmiths’ Company training bursary (five available each year)
- networking opportunities for you and your apprentice at social events
- access to additional opportunities via the Goldsmiths’ Centre for your apprentice, such as entry into relevant competitions, involvement in exhibitions and being informed of technical events and masterclasses
Your apprentice will:
- participate in 20-days of Day Release for the first three years of their apprenticeship
- work towards attaining a Level 4 City & Guilds Professional Recognition Award
- work on producing a Masterpiece in their final year. This will be showcased as part of the Goldsmiths’ Centre’s exhibition ‘Apprentice to Masterpiece’
- receive support to work towards their GSCE English, Maths and ICT at grades A* - C / 4 - 9 (or equivalent), if they don’t already have these
- spend time with other apprentices and building up their network within the industry
How do I apply?
There are ten places on the Goldsmiths’ Company Apprenticeship Scheme each year. Priority on placing potential apprentices with employers is given to our Foundation Programme trainees.
Applications must be submitted by the third Friday in July and are considered by our Trade Advisory Sub-Committee over the summer.
Register your interest below and our team will be in touch to answer all your questions and to send you an application form.