Over 57,000 people are employed in the UK’s jewellery retail, wholesale and manufacturing sectors. Over the past 10 years, the Goldsmiths’ Centre has helped to shape hundreds of careers through high-quality skills training, safeguarding the future of this ancient craft.
Who we are
The Goldsmiths’ Centre is the UK’s leading charity for the professional training of goldsmiths. We support jewellers, silversmiths and the wider precious metal industry to improve skills and shape careers.
Located in London, close to Hatton Garden, we welcome and bring people from all backgrounds and stages of their careers together with those interested in the industry, both in person and online.
I can attribute pretty much everything that I’ve been able to do in my career to what I’ve learnt and who I’ve met at the Goldsmiths’ Centre.
We encourage and empower young people and UK craftspeople and manufacturers to access exceptional training, knowledge, funding, and networks of support.
This year, in 2022, we celebrate 10 years of impact. Take a look at what we have achieved so far as we look forward with excitement to crafting many more creative careers.
What do we do
Here at the Goldsmiths’ Centre, we offer a wide range of free and affordable programmes. We offer:
- Vocational training for young people to flourish, enabling the next generation of goldsmiths to access routes into apprenticeships, employment or further education
- High-quality skills courses in both traditional and the latest techniques, taught by established craftspeople and business advisors in person and online
Shine was a point when I really pushed forward. It forced me to bring my collection together and present myself very professionally.
- Spotlighting and training opportunities to prepare new talent for the real world of business and to help grow their profiles
- Grant-making initiatives empowering trainees, working goldsmiths and other organisations to enable fair and inclusive access to skills education and business growth tools
The Goldsmiths' Centre is a central hub, which provides opportunities to all makers at all different stages of their career.
- Exhibitions, talks and selling events bridging the gap between the industry and the public, unveiling the process of making, and sparking interest and conversation about the goldsmiths’ craft
- Flexible workshop and meeting spaces for craftspeople and growing businesses to produce inventive and ground-breaking work
The biggest thing about being at the Goldsmiths' Centre is the collaboration with other businesses.
- Free access to a global, professional industry network of 2,500-plus members and Goldsmiths’ Centre alumni
- Rich online resources, inspiring the creative community to think innovatively and ambitiously about their own practice and the broader craft
When starting out, I didn't have the sense of community in London. Coming into a space like this, where everybody's very supportive was an incredible place to be in.
- Opportunities to collaborate and commission exceptional work from over 100 of the most exciting UK craftspeople and suppliers across its onsite workshops
When you join our creative community, you will be given the space to learn, make connections, be inspired and above all thrive.
The Goldsmiths’ Centre was founded by The Goldsmiths’ Company, one of the Great Twelve Livery Companies of the City of London in 2007. It represents the Company’s 700-year relationship to its craft, trade and industry and its ongoing commitment to support craftspeople to live, work, create and learn in the UK.
The Goldsmiths’ Centre is a place to meet, to share ideas, to make connections and above all to be inspired.
In 2012 the Goldsmiths’ Centre opened its doors – an award-winning £17.5 million project in the heart of Clerkenwell, London, a stone’s throw from the London’s jewellery quarter, Hatton Garden. Today this award-winning building brings together modern architecture with a Grade II listed Victorian Board School, creating a symbol of a traditional craft moving towards the future.
The Goldsmiths’ Centre is a springboard for apprentices, graduates and craftsmen into their chosen career.
The Goldsmiths’ Centre has become a creative hub for some of best newcomers and biggest names in the industry to learn, share, excel and thrive in their careers. With a growing audience in the UK and globally, here you will be able to champion the stars in the making and see them make exceptional contributions to the industry.
In 10 years, we have achieved a lot together:
The Goldsmiths’ Centre is more than just a building. We are a registered charity and a social enterprise. Play your part in supporting the next generation of goldsmiths, promoting and sustaining the goldsmith’s craft.
Supporting young people
Every year we offer free training for young people to enter a life-long career as a goldsmith. Many continue to develop their skills as an apprentice. With over 700 years of history, we deliver the Goldsmiths’ Company Apprenticeship Scheme, providing additional training and support to talented and award-winning apprentices.
The training and networking that I’ve received at the Goldsmiths’ Centre was what got me into my career.
How can you help?
- Fund, mentor or offer work experience for our trainees on our Foundation Programme course
- Support an Apprentice as their Master
- Act as an ambassador for us among the trade; encourage students at schools or universities to apply for our courses
The Goldsmiths’ Centre is a place for young people to come and receive some basic training with a hope that we can find them a place within our industry.
Helping businesses to thrive
We support skilled craftspeople and businesses by providing access to workshops and studios for sole traders, start-up and established businesses. All resident craftspeople give back their skills, expertise and time, teaching on our courses to speaking at events. Our short courses for recent graduates and working craftspeople offer skills training and business growth modules.
How can you help?
- Share your skills as a tutor on evening classes for improvers
- Speak through online talks to designer-makers and start-up businesses in both technical and business capacities
The Goldsmiths' Centre is a centre of excellence for the creative industries.
Our exhibitions and online talks focus on jewellery, silversmithing and the allied industries. The industry and interested members of the public are able to discover exceptional design and craftsmanship – demystifying the goldsmith’s craft.
How can you help?
- Work in partnership with us by proposing an exhibition
- Share your expertise by proposing or speaking at a members’ event or public talk
- Sponsor an exhibition or event
THE GOLDSMITHS' CENTRE, 42 Britton Street, London EC1M 5AD
Limited Company Registered in England. No. 6288800. | Registered Charity No. 1120113