'The Shadow of Gold' - Online Film Screening
- 24 Jun 2020 · 6:00PM - 8:00PM
- Online - Zoom
- Event type
Join us for an online screening of ‘The Shadow of Gold’, a film that takes an unflinching look at how the world’s favourite heavy metal is extracted from the earth.
This film explores both sides of the industry: the big-time mining companies that dig deep and remove mountaintops to extract gold from low-grade ore, and the small-time miners – an estimated 20 million people in the world’s poorest nations – who extract gold by hand, often producing just enough to survive.
Filmed in China, Peru, Canada, the U.S., UK, Dubai, and the Democratic Republic of Congo, The Shadow of Gold questions the impact of gold mining and the gold trade on our economy, environment and conflicts.
What is the format for the evening?
- The online event will start with a welcome and introduction on Zoom, with project partners Fair Luxury and the Incorporation of Goldsmiths’, Edinburgh.
- Access to the film will follow the introduction, and you will receive an exclusive link to connect with the film platform.
- After the event you will be sent an exclusive link to watch a Q&A. This discussion was recorded at the UK premiere of the film at the Goldsmiths’ Centre on the 11 March 2020.
- Please note it will be essential to join the Zoom welcome to receive the exclusive link to access the film. The link to the Zoom welcome will be included in your email ticket.
- Please check your email junk folder if you do not receive a ticket confirmation email or email us at email@example.com
What is your Buyer Policy?
For information on the Goldsmiths' Centre's Buyer Policy, including refunds, please follow this link
This event is presented in partnership with Fair Luxury and the Incorporation of Goldsmiths, Edinburgh.