Mount Making and Gypsy Setting with Sonia Cheadle
- 12 Nov 2021 - 13 Nov 2021 · 9.30AM - 4.30PM
- £289 (6 places)
- Specialist Workshop
- Event type
Do you need a clear practical introduction on how to construct beautiful mounts for your fancy cut set jewellery? Have you ever wondered how to perfect the ever so popular ‘Gypsy’ style setting?
Award-winning designer and experienced tutor Sonia Cheadle will show you step-by-step how to create the perfect mount for a variety of ‘fancy’ shaped faceted stones as well as offering a simple solution to successfully setting to gypsy technique.
This course offers fast track learning, top bench tips and invaluable tricks of the trade.
What will I learn?
- Setting up your bench to improve the quality of your practice and posture
- How to successfully construct ‘settable’ mounts for six fancy shaped cubic zirconia.
- Step-by-step demonstrations followed by a series of practical exercises to build confidence and develop an understanding around perfecting your mount construction.
- Top tips on measuring, marking and soldering
- A quick but accurate solution to the Gypsy style of setting
- How to accurately prepare your metal before setting, including finishing and pre-polishing
- A session on tool making allowing each student to leave the course with their own personal set of tools that can be used to practice this technique in their studio
- Develop technique and hone skills whilst forming a deeper understanding of the relationship between precious gemstones and their mounts.
Our small class size offers you the chance to get group as well as individual guidance and 1:1 time with your tutor, allowing you to receive tailored advice to deepen your knowledge and understanding of the Mount making and Gipsy setting process.
What equipment do I need to bring with me?
- Set of Needle Files, essentially a ‘well defined’ Square file
- Half Round hand file with handle
- Emery Stick. P600. Elastic Band.
- Small ‘well defined’ Steel Rule and a Sharp Scriber
- Piercing frame and Blades (2/0 or 3/0)
- Small paint brush for Borax application and a Solder probe
- Tin Snips and ring Clamp.
- AA Tweezers and a pair of Diamond tongs
- A Loop
- Medium/fine Binding wire
- Snipe Nosed Pliers, Flat/Pillar Pliers, Parallel Pliers
- Pair of Dividers
- ‘Double ended’ Pin Vice
- Protective clothing or clothing you do not mind getting dirty (e.g. apron, closed toe shoes)
- (Optional) Spectacles or head visor (if required) to work on small details
- (Optional) Notebook and pen
If you would like to prepare yourself ahead of the short course, please do read the following recommended book:
- Mounting & Setting Stones A&C Blacks by Sonia Cheadle
You will be provided with:
- All precious metal (silver) needed to make your mount and set stones
- Solder strip as required
- All fancy CZ’s needed to create your mount
- Drill bits and burr as required
- Steel rod to make your own tools
Who is this course designed for?
Intermediate: Some practical experience and basic understanding of the listed skill required
Participants should be comfortable in a workshop environment and able to work independently on basic tasks.
Who is the tutor?
Sonia Cheadle is a designer-maker and the author of Mounting and Setting Stones (Design and Make). She is an experienced tutor having run several mounting and stone setting courses since 2004. Sonia has also established a reputation for fresh and innovative jewellery, exhibiting at both Made in Clerkenwell and Goldsmiths’ Fair, she is the winner of the GCDC Gold, palladium and platinum award in the senior Precious Jewellery category in 2020. Her contemporary but classic approach creates pieces using the highest quality of materials and finishing which embody simplicity strength and beauty.
COVID-19 and Your Safety
We look forward to welcoming you to the Goldsmiths’ Centre with extra care.
Discover what safety measures we have put in place to ensure that you are taken care of during your visit:
Your Safety at the Goldsmiths' Centre
For further information, visit our Your Safety page.