Mount Making and Gypsy Setting
- 17 Oct 2020 - 24 Oct 2020 · 9.30am - 4.30pm
- £249 (Sat 17 & 24 October 2020)
- Specialist Workshop
- Event type
Do you need a clear practical introduction on how to construct beautiful mounts for your stone set jewellery? Have you ever wondered how to perfect the ‘gypsy’ style of setting?
Award-winning designer and tutor Sonia Cheadle will show you step-by-step how to create the perfect mount for a variety of ‘fancy’ shaped faceted stones as well as offering a simple solution to successfully setting to gypsy technique.
This course offers fast track learning, top bench tips and invaluable tricks of the trade. It is ideal for intermediate-advanced learners and with limited spaces for 8 participants, it offers you the chance to get individual guidance suited to your needs.
What will I learn?
- How to successfully construct ‘settable’ mounts for six fancy shaped cubic zircona.
- Step-by-step demonstrations followed by a series of practical exercises to build confidence and develop an understanding around perfecting your mount construction.
- A quick solution to the Gypsy style of setting
- A session on tool making allowing each student to leave the course with their own personal set of tools that can be used to practice this technique in their workspaces
- Develop technique and hone skills whilst forming a deeper understanding of the relationship between precious gemstones and their mounts.
What do I need to bring with me?
Please bring your own basic tool kit to include:
- Set of Needle Files, essentially a ‘well defined’ Square file
- Half Round hand file with handle
- Emery Stick. P600. Elastic Band.
- Small ‘well defined’ Steel Rule and a Sharp Scriber
- Piercing frame and Blades (2/0 or 3/0)
- Hard Solder
- Small paint brush for Borax application and a Solder probe
- Tin Snips. Ring Clamp. AA Tweezers, a pair of Diamond tongs and a Loop
- Medium/fine Binding wire
- Snipe Nosed Pliers, Flat/Pillar Pliers, Parallel Pliers
- Pair of Dividers
- ‘Double ended’ Pin Vice
- Spectacles (if required)
- Note book and pen
If you would like to prepare yourself ahead of the short course, please do read the following recommended book:
- Mounting & Setting Stones A&C Blacks. By Sonia Cheadle
What can I expect from my visit?
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Goldsmiths’ Centre with extra care.
Discover what safety measures we have put in place to ensure that you are taken care of during your visit. Click here to find out more.
Who is the tutor?
Sonia Cheadle is a designer-maker and the author of Mounting and Setting Stones (Design and Make). She is an experienced tutor having run a number of mounting and stone setting courses since 2004. Sonia has also established a reputation for fresh and innovative jewellery, exhibiting at both Made in Clerkenwell and Goldsmiths’ Fair. Contemporary but classic, she creates pieces using the highest quality of materials and finishing which embody simplicity and strength.
What is your Buyer Policy?
For information on the Goldsmiths' Centre's Buyer Policy, including refunds, please follow this link