Filigree Jewellery Workshop with Filipa Oliveira
- 07 May 2021 - 08 May 2021 · 9.30AM - 4.30PM
- £289 (6 places)
- Specialist Workshop
- Event type
Filigree is a 5000 year-old jewellery technique, which uses fine twisted threads of silver or gold to create the most varied designs. Led by filigree specialist Filipa Oliveira, join our two-day short course, which will cover the skills of this ancient jewellery technique through practical demonstrations, handouts and individual practice.
During this course, Filipa will show you step by step how to make your own filigree tools and prepare the filigree wire to solder and finish a design. This course is ideal for beginners to the technique of filigree and intermediate learners. With limited spaces for 6 participants, it offers you the chance to get group as well as individual guidance suited to your needs.
What will I learn?
- You will learn and make your own filigree tools and take these home with you.
- You will be taught how to make the special filigree wire, 3 different filigree designs and how to solder and finish these.
- By the end of the course you will have created one piece that you can take home and enjoy.
- The tutor will work with you as a group and individually; and will support and guide you through your learning.
Our small class size offers you the chance to get group as well as individual guidance and 1:1 time with your tutor, allowing you to receive tailored advice to deepen your knowledge and understanding of this ancient technique.
What equipment do I need to bring with me?
- Steel tweezers
- Small scissors
- Plastic container for solder
- (Optional) Spectacles or head visor (if required) to work on small details
You will be provided with:
- Silver wire in required size and quantity
- Brass sheet and disc as required
- Hard solder in required quantity
- Materials to make some tools
Who is this course designed for?
Beginners: No practical experience or understanding of the listed skill required.
Intermediate: Some practical experience and understanding of the listed skill required.
Participants should be comfortable in a workshop environment and able to work independently on basic tasks.
Who is the tutor?
Filipa Oliveira is a filigree specialist. She has won many awards for her filigree work, including the New Designers Goldsmiths’ Company Award for Jewellery. She uses this ancient technique in an innovative way to lend detail and heritage to her work. This historical element allows both the past and present to be encompassed within each piece of jewellery and is evocative of different times and cultures.
COVID-19 and Your Safety
We look forward to welcoming you to the Goldsmiths’ Centre with extra care.
Discover what safety measures we have put in place to ensure that you are taken care of during your visit:
Your Safety at the Goldsmiths' Centre