Enamelling on Precious Metals
- 26 Jun 2020 - 27 Jun 2020 · 9:30AM - 4:30PM
- Silversmithing Workshop
- Event type
Enamelling enables you to add vibrant colour to precious metals. Whether you are a beginner or have some experience in enamelling, this short course will help you to learn the basic techniques or improve your skills to create personal designs.
Over two days receive expert tuition from experienced enameller Joan Mac Karell in the techniques of cloisonné, champlevé, plique-à-jour and the use of foils. You will also be shown examples of a more contemporary approach to enamel including wet process enamels, etching, riso screens and ceramic transfers.
Who is this course designed for?
Beginners / Intermediate: Some practical experience and understanding of the listed skill is useful, but not essential.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Protective clothing or clothing you do not mind getting dirty e.g. apron, and closed toe shoes.
- Resource material for your personal design ideas.
- Toolbox if you have one including saw frame and 2/0 saw blade, a set of needle files, fine pointed tweezers, gravers if you want to learn engraving for texture.
- [Optional] Any previous enamel work that you wish to discuss
- [Optional] Coloured pencils, drawing materials, sketch books
What will we provide?
- Copper and a piece of sterling silver sheet, enamels and related materials.
- [Optional] Silver stampings for sale during the course.
Who is the tutor?
Joan Mac Karell completed her first degree in textiles before retraining at Sir John Cass metalwork department in jewellery and enamel and where she taught as a part-time senior lecturer for many years. She is a founder member of British Society of Enamellers and was a Director of Studio Fusion Gallery for over 22 years. She has work published in numerous books on enamel and jewellery, both in the US and the UK.
For information on the Goldsmiths' Centre's Buyer Policy, including refunds, please follow this link