Fold forming and Curved-Score Folding with Paul Wells
- 16 Jan 2024 - 20 Jan 2024 · 9.30am – 4.30pm
- £499 (8 places), 16, 17, 18,19, 20 January 2024
- Silversmithing Workshop
- Programme type
- Technical Skills Training
Fold forming is an exciting technique used to radically change the dimensions of sheet metal. Learn with experienced tutor Paul Wells how to exploit the metal’s natural plasticity to create dynamic sculptural forms.
Delivered in person at the Goldsmiths’ Centre, this course will help you to:
- Inject some technique-led processes to develop ideas and boost creativity in your designs.
- Expand your understanding of metallurgy principles such as work hardening and the importance of annealing.
- Develop your competency to form metal, including stretching, hammering and use of rolling mill.
- Step-by-step demonstrations followed by a series of practical exercises to build up your confidence and develop forming techniques and processes.
- An understanding of the effects of fold forming in the transformation from 2D to 3D forms.
- Create curved scores samples using wire.
- Produce a variety of folded copper forms—both samples of the demonstrated folding techniques, as well as your own sculptural explorations.
- Tin snips
- Piercing saw frame
- Saw blades 2/0 or 4/0 x 1 bundle
- Half Round hand file with handle
- Raw hide mallet
- Pair of dividers
- A blunt butter knife
- Ear plugs
- Protective clothing or clothing you do not mind getting dirty e.g., apron, and closed toe shoes.
- All sheets metal (Copper) needed to produce work
- Wire for scoring
- Dip gloves
- Access to all workshop equipment necessary
Intermediate: Some practical experience and understanding of the listed skills required.
In order to benefit most from this course, participants should have experience of being in a workshop environment and able to work independently on basic tasks such as piercing, filling and annealing.
We believe that talent should not be held back. Here at the Goldsmiths’ Centre, we are open, accessible and inclusive to all. Our Access Grants help anyone to build thriving creative careers, supporting jewellers, silversmiths and allied industry practitioners to access our training courses for free.
If you need help to cover fees for our business and technical skills short courses, please apply for one of our Access Grants. To find out more and read our application criteria, click here
The Access Grants are delivered by the Goldsmiths' Centre and funded by the Goldsmiths’ Company Charity.