Precision Polishing and Jewellery
- 15 Feb 2018 - 16 Feb 2018 · 9:30AM - 4:30PM
- Silversmithing Workshop
- Event type
Want to learn how to achieve the perfect polish? During this two-day short course, Master Polisher Stephen M Goldsmith will teach you the techniques on how to make your piece look professional.
During this two day short course, Master Polisher Stephen M Goldsmith will teach you the techniques on how to make your piece look professional. The course includes traditional methods to the use of polishing machinery.
The course is suitable for students with jewellery or silversmithing skills, but also those wishing to extend their knowledge from other disciplines such as designers or sculptors.
What does the course cover?
- Health and Safety related issues
- How to prepare for the best results
- Hand polishing & burnishing
- Use of abrasives, sand, composition & the various tools that are used such as leather, felt, brushes & various grades calico mops
- Finishes such as, bright, matt & textured surfaces with the standard buffing method
- Barrel polishing
- Looking after polished silver
What do I need to bring with me?
- multiple items of your own work for discussion and to use as examples to polish.
- designs (CAD, hand sketches or presentation drawn) of your pieces to understand the requirements for polishing the piece
- polishing machines and all other materials are provided by the Goldsmiths’ Centre over the 2 days
Who is the tutor?
Stephen M Goldsmith is an expert Master Polisher with over 45 years’experience in the Jewellery Trade. He is a fellow of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths and has worked at Asprey & Garrard the Crown Jewellers, The Tower of London Jewel House and the Royal Mint. He has polished and restored many famous pieces such as the Wimbledon Cup and currently works for various clients such as a celebrity Jeweller Theo Fennell. He is an experienced tutor teaching internationally and across the UK.