Intellectual Property - Understanding, Protecting and Enforcing Your Rights
- 08 Nov 2018 · 9:30AM - 1:00PM
- Agas Harding Conference Room
- Event type
Intellectual Property is a critical asset, and the lifeblood running through most successful jewellery brands, designers and freelancers. But how many of us really understand what IP is, how to protect ourselves, or what to do if someone infringes our rights? Stories about designs or images being ‘ripped off’ online seem quite common, but what would we do if it happened to us?
In this IP workshop, ACID, the UK’s leading membership and campaigning organisation for design & intellectual property, will guide you through the various IP rights, provide you with tools of self-help to reduce the chances of your rights being infringed, and help you by providing practical steps if your IP rights are infringed. Helping you with the basics to create your own pro-active IP strategy is one of the main objectives of the session.
What will I learn?
In this interactive workshop, you will learn:
- The basics of Intellectual Property Rights and helping you identify which are applicable to you
- How to register, protect and enforce your Intellectual Property Rights
- The implications of Brexit on IP
- How to maximise the potential of your IP through licensing
- Trade Marks, brand protection and enforcement
- What to do if your IP is infringed
- How not to infringe the rights of others
- How to protect your IP online
- How to create an IP strategy
In addition to case studies from the jewellery industry, the session also includes an IP surgery, where an expert IP lawyer will answer questions and provide advice specific to your own brand or business.
What do I need to bring with me?
- We will be inviting participants to complete an online questionnaire ahead of the workshop in order to better tailor the content and advice to those present in the room
- After the workshop you will be provided with comprehensive notes summarising the key points from the session, but you may also want to take notes, particularly during the IP surgery
Who is this course designed for?
Beginner – this course is designed for people with no or little previous knowledge of Intellectual Property
Suitable for - this course is suitable for jewellery designers or designer makers, silversmiths, and jewellery businesses employing designers.
Who is the tutor?
Dids Macdonald, OBE is the co-founder and CEO of ACID. Formerly a successful product designer, she was fed up with her designs being knocked off by larger companies; and so, along with an IP lawyer, she formed ACID “to help David fight Goliath”. Dids will be accompanied by one of ACID legal affiliates, a specialist IP lawyer, throughout the session.