Engraving with Air Tools
- 21 Jul 2018 · 9:30AM - 4:30PM
- Specialist Workshop
- Event type
Want to develop your hand engraving skills? This one-day short course will show you how to best use air-driven tools to push through the metal’s surface. Under expert tuition from award-winning goldsmith Harry Forster-Stringer, learn how to speed up the lengthy process of hand engraving, develop muscle memory and control using traditional techniques. This course is designed to build your confidence with equipment as well as progress your ability and skills at pace.
What does the course cover?
This short course aims to introduce you to the use of air gravers as a tool to quickly develop engraving capacity and ability. Key topics covered include:
• Setting up your work bench
• Preparation of tools (including tool sharpening)
• Designs preparation for engraving
• How to ready art work for transfer onto metals
• Preparation of metals for engraving
• A range of techniques for transferring designs onto metals
• To see the tools in operation and gain practical experience of using the tools whilst under supervision and with expert guidance
Ideal for beginners and intermediate learners.
- Beginner: No practical experience or understanding of the listed skill required
- Intermediate: Some practical experience and basic understanding of the listed skill required
Who is the tutor?
Harry Forster-Stringer is an award-winning professional Goldsmith, Engraver and Enameller based in Nottingham with over 40 years’ trade experience. Starting as a mounter in Birmingham’s jewellery quarter, he made the jump to setting 30 years ago. He now covers a variety of techniques such as Stone-setting, Pavé Microsetting and Hand Engraving, and is furthering his enamelling skills under the tutelage of second-generation enameller, Phil Barnes. He is a highly experienced tutor at the Goldsmiths’ Centre and successful consultant in the jewellery industry.
Cancellations: The Goldsmiths’ Centre’s events and short courses are constantly updated and, while we endeavour to deliver our programme as advertised, there may inevitably be occasions where we have to change content without prior notice or, in exceptional circumstances, to cancel an event. In the case of a course cancellation delegates will be offered a full refund.