Mount Making and Gypsy Setting - SOLD OUT
08-Sep-17 to 09-Sep-17Opening Hours:
9.30am – 4.30pm, £250Event Over
Apply for ticket
This course is now sold out. It offers you the chance to get individual guidance suited to your needs.
Key study topics covered in the course include:
- How to successfully construct ‘settable’ mounts for six fancy shaped cubic zircona.
- Step-by-step demonstrations followed by a series of practical exercises to build confidence and develop an understanding around perfecting your mount construction.
Day 2: A quick solution to the Gypsy style of setting
- A session on tool making allowing each student to leave the course with their own personal set of tools that can be used to practice this technique in their workspaces
- Develop technique and hone skills whilst forming a deeper understanding of the relationship between precious gemstones and their mounts.
What to bring:
Your own basic tool kit to include:
- Set of Needle Files, essentially a ‘well defined’ Square file
- Half Round hand file with handle
- Emery Stick. P600. Elastic Band.
- Small ‘well defined’ Steel Rule and a Sharp Scriber
- Piercing frame and Blades (2/0 or 3/0)
- Hard Solder
- Small paint brush for Borax application and a Solder probe
- Tin Snips. Ring Clamp. AA Tweezers, a pair of Diamond tongs and a Loop
- Medium/fine Binding wire
- Snipe Nosed Pliers, Flat/Pillar Pliers, Parallel Pliers
- Pair of Dividers
- ‘Double ended’ Pin Vice
- Spectacles (if required)
- Note book and pen
Sonia Cheadle is a designer-maker and the author of Mounting and Setting Stones (Design and Make). She is an experienced tutor having run a number of mounting and stone setting courses since 2004. Sonia has also established a reputation for fresh and innovative jewellery, exhibiting at both Made in Clerkenwell and Goldsmiths’ Fair. Contemporary but classic, she creates pieces using the highest quality of materials and finishing which embody simplicity and strength.
£250 per person. An average 3.5% plus handling fee applies on all online bookings and card payment. Please note that we cannot provide refunds.
This course is bookable via phone or at the reception desk at the Goldsmiths' Centre (EC1M 5AD). Please call 020 7566 7650 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book or for more information.
Cancellations: The Goldsmiths’ Centre’s events and short courses are constantly updated and, while we endeavour to deliver our programme as advertised, there may inevitably be occasions where we have to change content without prior notice or, in exceptional circumstances, to cancel an event. In the case of a course cancellation delegates will be offered a full refund.