Are you looking to develop your start-up jewellery, silversmithing or allied trades business? Do you need targeted support and a central London space to plan your next steps? Then our intensive Setting Out course at the Goldsmiths’ Centre in Clerkenwell offers you the solid business know-how and dedicated studio space to get your business off the ground.
What is the Setting Out programme?
Setting Out is aimed at emerging goldsmithing businesses as well as those aspiring to join this exciting industry from another creative discipline. The course is delivered by a dedicated team of business and creative specialists and focuses on equipping you with business, design and product development skills. You will be supported to research and develop your own business plan, produce a new product range and become a part of the Goldsmiths’ Centre’s community.
Setting Out has completely and utterly changed everything for me and my business. I was quite rudderless when I started the programme, but I now have a concrete plan and feel excited about re-launching my business. Setting Out is very intense and there’s a lot to do. I thought I would arrive, get support and have a base for the business, but it is more immersive.
Emily Bedford, Setting Out 2016 - 2017
What does the programme cover?
As well as on-going 1:1 mentoring, Setting Out includes taught modules on key topics such as:
Business skills including:
- customer and competitor profiling
- costing and pricing your work
- business finances
- developing an offline and online marketing plan
- project and risk management
Creative skills including:
- creative techniques
- ideas generation
- rapid concept visualisation and technical drawing
Product development skills including:
- understanding trends
- concept development
- designing to a price point
- design for production
You will also receive:
- 1:1 mentoring from a dedicated team of business and creative specialists
- Flexible access to a modern shared studio space
- Use of fully equipped training and prototyping workshops
- Access to the Goldsmiths’ Centre’s enrichment and community programme of events
- A platform to showcase work at exhibitions and events
- The potential for continued support as you implement your business plan over the subsequent 2 years (to be eligible for this, candidates must have successfully completed all year 1 criteria within the set deadlines. Judged on a case by case basis).
Applications deadline: Friday 6th July 2018 at 5pm
Interview dates: July 2018
Course dates: September 2018 – August 2019
The cost of the course is £299 per month.
Who can apply?
We welcome applications from those working or aspiring to work within the goldsmithing or allied trades running your own creative business. Normally you will be:
- Working within the goldsmithing or allied trades or aspire to work in these areas from another creative discipline
- Have a clear business idea, product concept and creative direction
- Have recently started or be looking to start a UK business
- Hold a degree or equivalent related qualification (applications from individuals with non-standard qualifications are invited. Please contact the team to discuss your individual circumstances)
- Have at least 1 year’s recent relevant work experience
- Available for interview to discuss your work and aspirations during the week commencing 24 July 2017
- Prepared to commit to the full programme of business, creative and product development including the implementation of specific business practices
- Prepared to share with the team your personal and business finances
- Able to finance yourself and your business for the full programme whilst at the Centre
- Able to provide 2 Professional References as requested on the form supplied
How to apply?
Applicants are asked to complete and return the Setting Out 2017 Application Form along with 2 Professional References, provide a portfolio of recent work, allow the Setting Out team access to personal and business financial information and be willing to attend a panel interview in June to discuss your work and aspirations.
We will use your completed form and evidence to shortlist applicants for interview at the Goldsmiths’ Centre the week commencing 24 July 2017, so please provide as much as information as possible.
Applications for Setting Out 2017 close on: Fri 7 July 2017 at 5pm
There are a maximum of 8 places available. To find out more about Setting Out call 020 7566 7650 or email firstname.lastname@example.org