Looking to develop your start-up jewellery, silversmithing or allied trade business? Setting Out offers you targeted business know-how and a central London space to get your business off the ground.
What is Setting Out?
Setting Out is aimed at emerging jewellery, silversmithing and allied trade businesses as well as those aspiring to join this exciting industry from another creative discipline.
The year-long course is delivered by a dedicated team of business, product and creative specialists and focuses on equipping you with business, design and product development skills.
You will be supported to produce your own business plan, develop a new product range and become a part of the Goldsmiths’ Centre’s community.
“Setting Out has completely and utterly changed everything for me and my business. I was quite rudderless when I started the programme, but I now have a concrete plan and feel excited about re-launching my business”
What will I learn?
As well as on-going 1:1 mentoring, Setting Out includes taught modules on a number of key topics.
Business skills include:
- customer and competitor profiling
- costing and pricing your work
- business finances
- developing an offline and online marketing plan
- project and risk management
Creative skills include:
- ideas generation
- rapid concept visualisation
Product development skills include:
- understanding trends
- concept development
- design for production
What else will I receive?
Apart from 1:1 mentoring from a dedicated team of business and creative specialists, you will receive:
- Flexible access to modern shared studio space
- Use of fully equipped training and prototyping workshops
- Access to the Goldsmiths’ Centre’s enrichment and community programme of events
- A platform to showcase your work at exhibitions, like Shine, a selling showcase for emerging talent, and events
- The potential for continued support as you implement your business plan over the subsequent 2 years (to be eligible for this, candidates must have successfully completed all year 1 criteria within the set deadlines. Judged on a case by case basis)
Do I need particular skills or experience to apply?
We welcome applications from you, if you are working or aspiring to work within jewellery, silversmithing or the allied industries running your own creative business. Normally you will meet the following criteria:
- Working within the goldsmithing or allied trades or aspire to work in these areas from another creative discipline
- Have a clear business idea, product concept and creative direction
- Have recently started or be looking to start a UK business
- Hold a degree or equivalent related qualification (applications from individuals with non-standard qualifications are invited. Please contact the team to discuss your individual circumstances)
- Have at least 1 year’s recent relevant work experience
- Be available for interview to discuss your work and aspirations during the week commencing 23 July 2018
- Be prepared to commit to the full programme of business, creative and product development including the implementation of specific business practices
- Be prepared to share with the team your personal and business finances
- Be able to finance yourself and your business for the full programme whilst at the Goldsmiths’ Centre
- Be able to provide 2 Professional References as requested on the application form supplied
When does the course start and how do I apply?
Course dates: Monday 10 September 2018 – Friday 23 August 2019
Interview dates: Week commencing 23 July 2018
Applications close on: Friday 6th July 2018 at 5pm
Cost: £299 per month
To apply, download and complete the "Setting Out Application Form" (available to download soon), along with 2 Professional References, a portfolio of recent work and allow the Setting Out team access to personal and business information. We will use your completed form and evidence to shortlist applicants for interview at the Goldsmiths’ Centre, so please provide as much information as possible.